Sunday, February 15, 2015

A Twice, Thrice Told Tale

The Wife

He's gone. He's really gone? There's no way. This is not possible. Sobs choke my breathing as I try to explain what has happened. 

"Mom?" I managed to spit out between tears and gasps. "He's not responding to me. He won't wake up!"

I screamed. The phone fell to the floor. I collapsed to my knees as I knew the love of my life had gone from this world. 

The Mother

It was a typical Sunday morning. My husband, the preacher, and I were preparing for the morning's worship service, grabbing all we needed for the day: snacks for the kid's room, my secret pal gift, and the flash drive which held the day's music, videos, and message. 

It's 9:12 as we walk out the door, my husband and I. My phone rings unexpectedly, and I fumble inside my purse to answer.

"It's probably one of the girls," I said to my husband. "I better get it."

He just rolled his eyes and smiled as he figured I was more than likely right. 

All I heard were the sobs of my baby girl. I knew it was my youngest...a mother always knows her child's cry no matter how old they are. I heard my daughter's voice in so much pain, but the words spoken unfathomable. She screamed. 

I knew then there would be no blessing of a church service today. Today would be Hell for our family. 

The Dog

Why is dad just laying there? Why did mom cover him up with a blanket? There are wet droplets of water falling from mom's face. I've never seen this. What is that?

Mom grabs that thing she calls a "cell phone" and frantically searches for something she calls a "phone number." She's saying a couple of words that I know are bad words. Dad always tells her she shouldn't use them. I wonder why she's using them now with dad just lying there covered in his favorite blanket. It's the one we always use when playing video games. It's my favorite, too. 

I hear my mom say, "Mom?" I know that word. That's what I call her. She has a mom, too? Hmmmm. "That's interesting," I think with my head cocked to the side and my nose wrinkled. Right in the middle of my thought, I hear my mom scream and see her fall to her knees. I don't know what to do. I slide up to my mom and put my head in her lap. I am confused, but I can tell my mom is hurting. I will stay right here with my head in her lap so she knows she is loved.  

No comments:

Post a Comment