Sunday, February 1, 2015

A Problem of Practice

Moaning and groaning.

Complaining and whining.

Back stabbing and undermining.

And usually...it's useless. There is nothing you can do. Decisions have been made, and if you wish to remain employed, most of the time you just have to suck it up and move on with life.

The drama is everywhere! It has to stop!


But, how do you get the drama to stop when everyone seems so unhappy? This is the question of the hour.

A Problem of Practice

There is much contention currently at my school. There is a rift and insurmountable lack of trust between teachers and administration. Although technically I am a member of the administrative team, as an Instructional Coach, I am both admin and teacher. I build trusting relationships with teachers, and they rely on my confidentiality. Our work environment has become toxic. I have been told that many people feel sick to their stomachs as they get up in the morning and prepare to come to work. I cannot stand that. Maybe it's because I am on both sides of the coin, but I can with confidence say that almost all of the people at my school - admin and teachers alike - are there for one purpose: for the kids. It's that simple. We are all there for the kids. We work in an urban charter setting which can be demanding. But, we are all there because we want our kids to see that a better life comes through education.

My plan is to design a creative, viable solution to this problem for my school. I don't know the direction this will take me, and I know the road will be rough, but if our staff isn't happy, it affects the kids. That simply cannot happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment